Please ensure to read the instructions carefully. Failure to follow these instructions correctly could affect the validity of your sample or result.
We recommend that you are at least 9 weeks from conception (this means you will be in your 11th week of pregnancy, starting from the first day of your last menstrual period. You may check your dates by referring to our pregnancy calculator (Note that we strongly recommend checking with your doctor or OBGYN to confirm the dates related to your pregnancy).
There is no need to fast prior to taking the required blood draw.
Note: Blood samples from the mother need to be collected by a qualified person such as a doctor or nurse. Father’s mouth swab samples can be collected at home by the test participants themselves.
Precautions (PLEASE NOTE CAREFULLY)
- Contact courier prior to your appointment to ensure you can arrange a convenient collection time for pick-up of the blood samples. We strongly recommend that samples are dispatched on the same day as the blood samples are collected.
- We recommend the blood sample collection takes place as early as possible in the day. Be sure to use only the courier pouch provided to send your blood samples.
- Do not use any other blood collection tubes other than the ones provided in our kit.
- Ensure the correct amount of blood is supplied.
- Collection of father’s sample can be done at home followed by instructions provided.
- Ensure that the sample submission form is completed, that all the required information has been filled in.
- Due to genetic similarity between relatives, samples from all alleged fathers are required if alleged fathers are possibly related to each other. This requirement applies to fathers who are distant relatives as well, such as members of a small tribe or ethnic group.
Inside your sampling kit you will find the following:
- 2 x 10 ml Cell-free DNA *BCT Tube (for Mother’s Blood)
- 2 x Sets of oral swabs (for collection of Father’s sample)
- 1 x Custom Blood Collection Kit Foam Insert to hold the above supplies
- 1 x Zip Style Biohazard Bag
- 1 x Absorbent Sheet
- 1 x Plain White kit box
- 1 x Courier Clinical Pack Envelope, Large
- 1 x Pre-paid courier Return Label
- 1 x Submission and Consent Form
- 1 x Sample Collection Instructions
*BCT is an abbreviation for Blood Collection Tube.
DNA Blood Sample Collection Instructions:
For the prenatal paternity test we require blood samples from the mother that must be collected by a doctor, nurse or phlebotomist to ensure the procedure is done correctly.
Collection of the father(s) samples must be done using oral swabs provided in the kit (the procedure can be done at home, carefully followed by instructions provided below).
Procedure for Blood Sample Collection (mother)
- Book an appointment with a person qualified to take the blood samples. Be sure to take your sample collection kit with you to your appointment.
- Drink plenty of water just before the blood sample collection Use the 2 x 10 ml BCT tubes for Mother’s sample. Please ensure they are filled fully as this test requires 20ml of blood.
- Ensure that these tubes are labeled with the information requested.
- Fill out the consent forms carefully.
- Once the doctor or nurse has collected the blood samples in the relevant tubes and labelled them carefully,it is recommended that the tubes be rotated by hand to ensure that the blood, anticoagulant and stabilizer are thoroughly mixed. The tubes must be placed back into the Custom Collection Kit Foam Insert provided. The absorbent sheet must be placed on top of the Blood collection Kit Foam Insert.
Procedure for Oral Sample Collection (father)
- DO NOT eat, drink or smoke for at least one hour before a mouth swab sample is taken.
- It is important to collect one sample at a time using two sets of swabs and the envelope per person.
- Complete the requested information on both the swab envelope and all the details on the Sample Collection Form (Complete with signatures of consent).
- Open the paper packaging and remove the swabs. Be careful to handle the swabs at the non-cotton end DO NOT, at any time, touch the cotton end with your hands or fingers.
- Collect cheek cells by rolling the tip of the sample collection swab firmly on the inside of the right cheek (30 times each or for about 1 minute). Be certain to move the swab over the entire inner cheek surface. This action should be firm but not aggressive and should not be uncomfortable. Repeat this process for the same individual with the second swab.
- Then repeat this process for the same individual with the second pair of swabs on the inside of the left cheek. You must submit four swabs per person.
- Allow the swabs to dry for one hour before placing them into the envelope, always making sure not to touch the cotton end with your fingers or against any surface. DO NOT place the swabs back into the original plastic package that they came in. Slide them directly into the envelope (Tip: You can place the swabs in a clean glass with the cotton-end facing up to dry).
Sending your samples back to us
- Once you have also collected blood samples from the mother and mouth swab samples from the alleged father, the Kit Foam Insert and the envelope containing the father’s swabs need to be placed into the Zip Style Biohazard Bag.
- You may then proceed to insert the Biohazard Bag into the white box provided. Remember to include the consent form – however do not place the forms inside the Biohazard Bag with the samples.
- Insert the white box into the courier Clinical Pack Envelope. Take note of the tracking number and seal the pack.
- Excess heat can cause samples to fail. Please ensure they are kept at room temperature.
- Please ensure that you close and seal the courier pouch correctly. Failure to do so may result in the loss of the samples in transit and the need to re-sample.
- Call up courier for collection and dispatch of your samples. Make sure to mention that you have a prepaid courier pouch.
- Once samples have been sent, contact us to confirm that you have sent the samples. Always remember to quote case reference code.